The Sussex Bat Group was formed in 1984 to help conserve bats in East and West Sussex. The Group is a registered charity made up of volunteers who share a passion for bats. We are affiliated with the Bat Conservation Trust.
Bats are facing serious population declines across the UK. There is a bat group in nearly every county working to help reverse this decline.
The aims of the Sussex Bat Group are to:
- Help conserve bats and their habitat.
- Raise awareness of bats and their conservation.
These aims are achieved by:
- Recording and monitoring bat populations in Sussex.
- Assisting Natural England with roost visits where threats to
bats may exist.
- Carrying out conservation projects such as bat box schemes,
improving roost sites or opening and protecting potential sites.
- Organising talks and educational events throughout the year.
- Providing a care and rescue
service for sick and injured bats, with the back up of permanent bat
- Producing a regular newsletter - The Belfry.